26 April 2009

Dogwood's Plight



A cute (but true!) story from my aunt. A unique perspective, seeing the world from the eyes of a tiny bird...


Hi, I'm Dogwood the hummingbird. I'm in rehab 'cause my right wing is not working so good.
Here's the story: I was just returning to my summer home in the lovely foothills of North Carolina when I spied a yummy swarm of fruit flies and raced straight for them, then, BOOM! I hit this invisible force field. I was knocked out cold and when I came to, my whole right side wouldn't work, bummer!!! I just flopped around and ran in circles when I tried to fly, cause only one wing worked.
Here's the scoop: Then...I was scooped up (punny huh?) by this giant and taken away. It was sort of like flying but with no wind and no wings. I'm so confused.
Day 1: well you already know that story.
Day 2: I feel awful. I can't fly, I can barely move and I'm so depressed, plus I feel like I've been hit by a truck!
Day 3: I slept in this small dark place last night and I feel a little better today. I have a branch to perch on, Hey, I can perch!!! There is a giant container of nectar over there, think I'll have some. Yum. Wait, there are some pretty pink flowers if I try really hard I can go over to them. I am learning to motivate! I can go pretty much anywhere I want in this little box sort of place. Wonder where everybody else went? But, I still can't fly and still go in circles, boohoo.
Day 4: The giant took me outside today. This is where everybody else went. I have been practicing walking up and down my branches and even tried to jump off today. I think I felt my right wing move a little, Yea!! I'll just keep trying.
Day 5: I feel really down today I worked and worked yesterday and I still can't fly. I just keep going in circles but I did get some fresh raindrops from the pink flowers the giant brings everyday. It even brought some nectar filled lilacs today, but I'm still depressed. Wish I could fly away!!!
Day 6: I spent a long time outside in this cool place with flowers and rocks and stuff today. I got new food that had what the giant called nutrients in it. I climbed to the top of my perch and practiced flying all day. I know my wing is starting to move now!!! I'll just keep trying till it gets all better.
Day 7: wait, it is still day 6 . Catch up with you again in a couple of days.

That photo was also taken by my aunt. She's a great photographer.

No comments: