24 April 2009

My Reaction to My Grandmother's Fight With Leukemia

The month was December, I believe. I don't recall exactly what day. I was walking down the road on a cold, windy night. It was actually quite nice considering that I find the cold weather comforting. A few minutes down the road I get a phone call from my father. I was a bit alarmed because he hardly ever calls me. I answer the phone and he sounds upset. I knew it was going to be bad news, but never as horrible as it actually was. He told me of my grandmother's condition. I can remember dropping to my knees on the road and crying. My grandmother was visiting my father in New Jersey that week when she fell ill. My father drove her to the hospital and they ran the usual blood tests on her. Her white blood cell count was dangerously low. It was the worst news no one wants to hear. She had leukemia and she was dying. The chances of survival were fairly low. She was losing weight and hair. She had dreamed of seeing me graduate high school, and seeing the realisation that she may not, she was devistated. But despite the odds, her condition eventually improved after many intense and tiring chemotherapy sessions.

Today she is doing awesome, and she's passed her first year in remission, and her hair has grown back. She looked great when I saw her at my graduation. She was so happy to live to see it, and I was ecstatic to see her. It is a defining moment in my life because it made me realise that even the strongest can fall and you can't take anything for granted.

Horrible pic of me, but my grandma looks great!

Me, Grandpa, and Grandma!

No comments: